DISCIPLINE MANAGEMENTFOR BROWNSBORO ISDTRANSPORTATION DEPARTMENT
Students failing to follow their responsibilities as a BISD bus rider will be subject to the following consequences:
Consequences of committing a minor violation are as follows:
Some examples of minor violations are (1) standing/moving while the bus is in progress. [Texas Law mandates that all students remain seated while the bus is in progress.] (2) eating or drinking on the bus, (3) littering, (4) loud talking or screaming, (5) placing a body part [hand, arm, head, etc.] on the outside of the bus, and (6) failure to load or unload in an orderly manner.
The Transportation director will mail a copy of the discipline report to the parent or guardian for all levels of disciplines above LEVEL I. Also, an attempt will be made to contact the parent or guardian by telephone of elementary students.
For grades 4-12, the discipline will be the loss of bus riding privileges for 3 school days.
For grades PreK-3, the discipline will be the loss of bus riding privileges for 10 days.
For grades 4-12, the discipline will be the loss of bus riding privileges for the remainder of the semester.
Some examples of serious offenses are (1) fighting, (2) vandalism, (3) abusive language or obscene gestures, (4) any reckless action that could cause harm to the normal operation of the bus, (5) use of tobacco, (6) any form of sexual harassment, (7) unauthorized opening or exiting through emergency exits, and (8) shining a laser pointer in anyone’s eyes.
LEVEL VII – first serious offense
LEVEL VIII – second serious offense
LEVEL IX – third serious offense
For grades PreK-12, the discipline will be the immediate loss of bus riding privileges for the remainder of the semester or year. This will be at the Transportation Director’s discretion.
Consequences of committing a major offense are as follows:
Some examples of major offenses are (1) possession or use of a firearm, knife, or other weapon on a bus, and (2) possession or use of alcohol, an illegal drug or drug paraphernalia on the bus.
LEVEL X – first major offense
For grades PreK-12, the discipline will be the immediate loss of bus riding privileges for the semester or year. This will be at the Transportation Director’s discretion.
LEVEL XI – second major offense
For grades PreK-12, the discipline will be the immediate loss of bus riding privileges for the remainder of the school year and any other disciplinary action deemed appropriate by the school administration.
BROWNSBORO ISD BUS RIDERSSPECIAL NOTES
- Students caught vandalizing the school bus will not only be subject to the disciplinary action listed, but also will be required to pay the actual cost to repair the vandalism.
- Parents and/or legal guardians of bus riders should note that drivers are instructed not to hold conferences or try to solve discipline problems while the bus is in operation on the route. Parents having questions should call the Transportation Director at 852-2097.
- All of the BISD buses are equipped with video monitoring equipment. Drivers and transportation personnel periodically monitor actions of the riders by use of this video equipment. The Transportation Department may or may not inform drivers, students, or parents when video cameras are installed on buses and/or when the video is being reviewed. Students may receive a written discipline report after a video is reviewed. A notation, such as “as seen on video” will be used to indicate that the offense was captured on film.
- The bus driver and Transportation Department may use seating arrangements on buses.
- Brownsboro ISD will make every effort to operate the bus fleet in a timely manner. Drivers take pride in being “on time” when loading and unloading bus riders at their homes. Events such as traffic, discipline problems, etc. may vary the time of arrival and departure and sometimes can not be avoided by the driver. BISD drivers are trained during their certification courses to operate a bus safely. If unsafe conditions exist, then the driver will stop the bus and will not continue the route until a safe environment has been restored.